geigerm

Re: Eclipse - Table 3

Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:13 pm

hardco easily took out my starbase. At least we were both online to get the fighting done quickly.

Onto the KYakerDude-SpiceTheCat battle ...

KYakerDude

Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:56 am

Reminder, whoever sees the game summary screen, be sure to take a screen capture and post it. I'm not sure we will see the results without it.

Spice, you are up. Lets get this battle done and finish the game.

I pounded your dreadnought with one measly shot because my +5 computers are not quite good enough to allow two hits.

SpiceTheCat

Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:24 pm

Sorry for the delay- I'm off hiking, with extremely capricious net access.

Anyway, one furry-ball-thing remains, on one point of hull.
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

SpiceTheCat

Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:20 pm

We have a result. Congrats to hardco, uh, apologies to KYakerDude.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (99.81 KiB) Viewed 17856 times

KYakerDude

Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:56 pm

We have a result. Congrats to hardco, uh, apologies to KYakerDude.
Lost to hardco again. :(

Congratulations hardco!

I've wanted to play this game with others instead of the AI for a while now. Out of three games, this was the only one that actually finished. I think it will be a while before I'm interested in playing this again. As much as I like the idea of the game, it feels like a lot of luck is involved at the beginning which has a major impact on who the winners and losers are. At the end of the game it felt like there was not much I could actually do to improve my position except hope to not be attacked. Finally the improved hull showed up, but ultimately it didn't make a different in the end. (Stupid +5 computers and a roll of 1 - auto miss). Glad we all had a chance to play.

geigerm

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:20 pm

Congrats to hardco on the win.

I am glad we had a chance to play--it's the first Eclipse game I've ever completed after not even getting through the tutorial previously. Unfortunately, I (obviously) didn't understand the game very well, and I'm not compelled to go back and learn any more.

hardco

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:17 pm

Thanks for the game everyone. I'm just glad we made it to the end. Things could have turned out different if SpicetheCat turned his weapons on me instead...

I've played the physical version a decent number of times, and I do like the game, but the iOS version needs se work which no one really believes would ever be done. If it had a replay of turns since you've last played, the ability to automate some of the combat (as simple as a never retreat option, or AI combat), and an autopass unless attacked option I'd be happy to play this regularly. Until then I'm pretty happy never to play this app again.

SpiceTheCat

Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:06 pm

I think I join the 'happy to have played it, don't need to play it again' consensus.

Maybe we were playing it wrong, but the fact that I won one table through enforced science-turtling, and basically played (unintentional, truly) Kingmaker in this one doesn't strike me as especially satisfying. I wonder if this game really does need the immediacy of being played in the cardboard.

hardco

Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:45 pm

I wouldn't go so far as to say you were a Kingmaker in this game. Things may have turned out differently, but they could have been exactly the same too. As long as you are doing what you think is best to improve your position in the game there is no Kingmaking. The threat of you Wormholing to any of my sectors managed to keep me from building a monolith last turn. Science turtling is a strategy that required the other players to respond. If they didn't that's on them!

Given the comments from BDC in today's post about the Android version, I'm reluctantly excited to try again though...

JammaTal

Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:35 am

Science turtling is a strategy that required the other players to respond. If they didn't that's on them!

Given the comments from BDC in today's post about the Android version, I'm reluctantly excited to try again though...
decent advice, but:
i was heavily engaged in fighting for and then defending the Galactic Center vs 2 other players, so no easy task to respond to Spice's "outer rim isolation threat" at the same time.
and i still think it was a valid approach. bonus points earned in many battles and rewards for gaining control over Ancient sectors might have pushed me to winning heights.
but you have to pay a price. to build up a strong fleet with decent fighting ship designs can make it hard to gain other vital techs.
so i had problems to get that crucial wormhole tech needed to fight vs Spice.
in the end he attacked me through his wormholes, but lost his invading ships (incl. both dreadnoughts) in two battles.
but my center position was severly weakened by moving my best ships to defend against Spice. so i could not exploit my center win as i had planned.
a very unpleasant strategical position between a rock and a hard place. but interesting and challenging.
and it could have succeeded as well.
Spice had an extraordinary strong economic by having explored a bunch of great sectors.
the basic reason for a splendid isolation science turtling to stand a chance at all.
but this strong position developed over a stretch of time. when it became obvious i was already heavily engaged
in the opposite direction. so "i had the salad". (as we Germans say. must think on Liverpool coach Kloppo LOL)
luck of the draw can play a dominant role in Eclipse. but i think there is a lot of "real" strategy in it too.
a great game.

so i would love to play a rematch with the same players setup. maybe when the new engine is out?

Return to “The Tourney Dome”