Illy

Re: <t>The Future of Wargamer</t>

Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:23 am

Byeeee, byebyeee, byeeeeeee

re_tard

Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:36 pm

Why did you delete all the old content, I'm struggling to find any reviews on a series of old games, and the links to the Wargamer reviews no longer work.

@Sigwolf

Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:24 am

The future of Wargamer... disappear with a whimper. The redesign is jarring, with very questionable benefits, but certainly not insurmountable. The indiscriminate culling of 75% of this thread... added to no ability to comment directly on new articles on the front page? Seems like the "new" Wargamer's idea of increased "inclusivity" is to make sure members can not interact in any meaningful way. Good luck with that.

Wargaming, as a hobby, has survived by fostering a community. That is certainly not where this site appears to be headed.

ACDBrant

Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:27 pm

So yeah, my "bayonetbrant" account, that I'd had at Wargamer back to 2005, can't log in, and every available PW reset, including the new site owners trying to fix it, doesn't work.
So here I am with my new account, as I'm also the lead guy over at Armchair Dragoons (hence the ACD)

Go type "guillory" into the search box and see what comes back for my articles - 2 I wrote, and 2 about my games
Yeah, it's even worse now.

there's literally no record of anything I wrote in those years when I was on staff here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nothing lasts forever

EditorAlex
Site Admin

Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:02 pm

Hi everyone - Wargamer's new Editor Alex here.

Just want to offer some reassurances regarding our plans for the site. Wargamer has been around for a LONG time and has a passionate community with deep roots - we know that, and we know it's a special website. Our efforts to expand the site beyond its previous genre borders feel like a huge change.

I hoped to make it plain in my welcome post (linked below), but let me say clearly to everyone in this thread who feels aggrieved by the wider range of content we're making: this is not the 'death' of what Wargamer was.

We're going in new directions, sure, but we're not throwing out the old ones!

Migrating a website with a huge content library to a new platform is no mean feat, and sadly, even if we had 20 staff instead of two, we still wouldn't be able to bring all our legacy content to the new site.

We saved over 60 articles at launch (the last of these went live yesterday), and we're looking into ways to preserve even more of that older content for the community, so nothing falls by the wayside.

And we've got plenty of new content coming too, including full reviews inbound for Field of Glory II: Medieval and Order of Battle: Allies Defiant (courtesy of Colonel Bill and Joe Fonseca).

Bear with us while we settle into the new look (and team), and know that Wargamer will always be a home for digital and tabletop wargaming.

https://www.wargamer.com/welcome

Illy

Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:17 pm

The future of Wargamer... disappear with a whimper. The redesign is jarring, with very questionable benefits, but certainly not insurmountable. The indiscriminate culling of 75% of this thread... added to no ability to comment directly on new articles on the front page? Seems like the "new" Wargamer's idea of increased "inclusivity" is to make sure members can not interact in any meaningful way. Good luck with that.

Wargaming, as a hobby, has survived by fostering a community. That is certainly not where this site appears to be headed.
this site is dead, we gotta move on

ACDBrant

Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:57 am

just testing to see if I can get ANY kind of post approved

Vorenus81

Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:20 pm

I've been visiting this site on almost daily basis for the last 3 years, but I don't like the recent changes. Time to move on then. Bye, bye.

AP514

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:26 pm

Yes, I am a long time poster and fan (2006) of this WARGAMER SITE...but I also find the content..lacking and will be moving on....

Good bye Wargamer :cry:

jeffnorton

Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:42 pm

It looks like IGN's little brother.

D&D a 'wargame'? Best family games?

Did you change coffee vendors?

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”