DefenderOfTurtles

Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:25 pm

Thanks for writing this article. The anger and denial that some people have shown are reasons why we need to at least talk about these issues within the wargaming community and industry. The fact that I've seen at least one person trot out the "men and women are different" argument is a sign of how assumptions need to be challenged.

DrJest1

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:42 pm

I don't agree with this article but a good game design will stand on its own regardless of the designer's demographic.

Simply, sit down and play.

The color of your skin, your sex, how you agitate your genitals, and how you identify outside of gaming, is not important. Trust me I'm not impressed. Generational trauma and victimhood?!? Give me a break. There are no victims in wargaming, only the bad luck of the dice.

It equally does not give anyone special insights or meriting of special considerations.

It all boils down to sit down and play. If not, time for you to move on.

*An admin edited the original, inserted his own wording, and failed to acknowledge it.*

Mod: Edited for accuracy.
Last edited by DrJest1 on Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

cicerno

Re: <t>Is 2020 the year the tide turned in the struggle for diversity in wargames?</t>

Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:48 pm

Great article. I am not in the least bit surprised to see the typical toxic hatred spewing forth from our more outspoken right-wing friends. It has been killing the hobby for years now.
I do not think the exploration and exploitation game should have been cancelled. First of all, it was a game that only a very few people were going to play. But more importantly, it is a setting that provokes thought. Narcissistic jerks are going to take joy in the exploitation, while the more human amongst us will see an opportunity to contrast the myth with the reality, and perhaps gain an insight into why people with their hands on the levers of government power, would inflict atrocities on others.
The answer is banal, but does pose the question. If we were in the same situation, would we act differently?

LtColMorto

Re: <t>Is 2020 the year the tide turned in the struggle for diversity in wargames?</t>

Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:32 pm

A lot of comments about “leftists” and Communists in this post... shows a lack of understanding of what those terms mean.

What most triggered people here do not understand is that this award is for game developers.. not gamers. I know every gamer thinks they can create an amazing game (which is a fallacy).

Let me compare this to my day job, women in places such as RAND are creating amazing games for me and the rest of the DoD. Why not get some of that brain power into hobby gaming?

LtColMorto

Re: Re:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:55 pm

I also noticed that despite your statement of leaving, you came back.
I would never submit an application to your award - I want to have pride in knowing I won something based on my ideas and hard work, not because I'm a minority and people like you see that as a hindrance and throw me bread crumbs out of pity.

You have already told me no one will miss me, and now you are making comments about me continuing to post, so I will ask you again:

As a Native American, is it your position that I am no longer welcome in this community?
Stop it. You are a making a nonsensical argument. I don’t care what your background is, but your toxic and misguided comments leads me to say that this community would be better off without you. It’s not the ridiculous arguments you bring forth, it is the fact you need to comment and crap on something that by your own admission has nothing to do with you.

Funny how you play the minority card when it seems to suit you.

How many games have you created that I may have played?
Last edited by LtColMorto on Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cicerno

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:05 pm

Great article. I am not in the least bit surprised to see the typical toxic hatred spewing forth from our more outspoken right-wing friends. It has been killing the hobby for years now.
I do not think the exploration and exploitation game should have been cancelled. First of all, it was a game that only a very few people were going to play. But more importantly, it is a setting that provokes thought. Narcissistic jerks are going to take joy in the exploitation, while the more human amongst us will see an opportunity to contrast the myth with the reality, and perhaps gain an insight into why people with their hands on the levers of government power, would inflict atrocities on others.
The answer is banal, but does pose the question. If we were in the same situation, would we act differently?
We are spewing toxic hatred because we are rightfully criticizing an award that is given solely on the merit of one's skin color or sex? When you exclude one group of people and promote another, that is discrimination no matter how you cut it.

Most would be all up in arms over an award or scholarship exclusively for "straight white male Europeans", for example. Yet others on this thread are perfectly OK with promoting and rewarding anyone else who doesn't fit that criteria. Enough is enough and I won't be silent on this any longer.

Discrimination: "the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex."

Prime example of leftist hypocrisy at work.

"“I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
This is so sad. Once, we were men. Now we are a nation of little boys.
A private organization wants to promote the wargame industry by offering awards to developers of whatever criteria.

This has absolutely nothing to do with you.
But your panties are all wadded up anyhow. You need to express your hatred and anger onto the internet, because, somehow, this is all about you. Buck up, my little narcissistic princess, because I have good news! You can take your own money and create an award with whatever criteria you want.
Problem solved!
If you want to make an award for narcissistic, bitter old men who whine incessantly about things that have no relevance to them....you can! No one is stopping you.
It's called freedom.

LtColMorto

Re: Re:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:11 pm

I also noticed that despite your statement of leaving, you came back.
I would never submit an application to your award - I want to have pride in knowing I won something based on my ideas and hard work, not because I'm a minority and people like you see that as a hindrance and throw me bread crumbs out of pity.

You have already told me no one will miss me, and now you are making comments about me continuing to post, so I will ask you again:

As a Native American, is it your position that I am no longer welcome in this community?

I also saw your comments on VC2. You have some problems with race, don’t you

frighteningfred

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:09 pm

LTCOLM

please make your voice heard but don???t make your voice heard by marginalizing those who haven???t done anything negative to anyone. It???s the classic example of calling a guy a rapist because he has the equipment to be one. Then when he says I???m not a rapist the argument shifts that although there is no proof he probably is because of his stereotype. Don???t you see the irony here? When a poster on this site responds with their opinion they are marginalized them selves!

This article claims that the war gamer stereotype is to blame for non inclusion. Please give me an example of how Russian campaign can be more appealing to the LBGTQ community. How should this change.

This article makes a lot of charges but is light on facts and most of all solutions.

LtColMorto

Re:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:26 pm

LTCOLM

please make your voice heard but don???t make your voice heard by marginalizing those who haven???t done anything negative to anyone. It???s the classic example of calling a guy a rapist because he has the equipment to be one. Then when he says I???m not a rapist the argument shifts that although there is no proof he probably is because of his stereotype. Don???t you see the irony here? When a poster on this site responds with their opinion they are marginalized them selves!

This article claims that the war gamer stereotype is to blame for non inclusion. Please give me an example of how Russian campaign can be more appealing to the LBGTQ community. How should this change.

This article makes a lot of charges but is light on facts and most of all solutions.

I am not sure what you are getting at here in the first para of your post. Herrk has some issues with race and has gotten booted from other threads in the past.

Your comment about the Russian campaign is ridiculous, this is not about making the Russian campaign more appealing. It is about finding developers with great ideas. How did you miss that part?

The award itself is a solution and do you need much proof to understand that the overwhelming amount of developers middle aged white men.

LtColMorto

Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:30 pm

Anyone on this thread that wishes to come on my podcast please PM me.,,

Thanks

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”